Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Monday 9th April - 17 Miles - closer, but still no cigar

I need another 6 weeks. I reckon if this were the case I'd be near Marathon distance at a constant run, yet, after yesterdays performance I'm still nervous about making the distance without a spectacular implosion around mile 20. The marathon is in 12 days time and certain lower parts of me keep puckering nervously.

I'm running out of under-performance excuses. After another well planned long run yesterday with every preperation in the book adhered to, (10hrs sleep a night for the last 4 nights, low fat hi-carb diet and keeping off my feet as much as possible the day before), things still resulted in a blistered run (note blistered, not blistering - there's a mighty difference!) which ground to a halt at 17 miles.

On the upside I felt stronger throughout and regulated my pace better to ensure more miles at reduced speed, however by mile 16 I was telling my legs that pain was good and that deep down I was OK. The talking started on Clapham common at mile 13 (the freaking half way marker!) and this isn't a good indication of things to come.

My only sanctuary now is that the 8/9 miles I've still yet to add onto the 17/18 mile runs to date (and notably the hardest miles) will be helped along by the tide of runners I'll be with, as well as the psychological difference the day makes. By this I mean roads with no traffic, the suffering of fellow runners, the mileage markers, not having to carry my own water and of course, the knowledge that I'll never have to run 26.6 miles again after the end of this race.